Thursday, October 15, 2009

LA Fashion Week Spring 2010: Jerell Scott


LisaRaye




























Designer Jerell Scott

Sequins, lace, print and feather all together on one garment. Really? Only thing was missing was the kitchen sink! I guess Project Runway season 5 contestant Jerell Scott didn't listen to Tim Gunn's advice to edit his collection when he was on the show. Speaking of Project Runway, I am beginning to believe runner-up Korto Momolu about them being a little racist. This season is the worst and they keep eliminating fabulous African-American designers such as Ra'mon Lawrence and Epperson while leaving average designers in the competition. I am sorry but I have to get that off my chest.

I really don't know where to begin because it was entirely too much going on. I did love the multi printed and sequined pieces but of course they needed to be edit. I know designers embellish a lot to add drama for the runway but Jerrell went a little overboard. It was a cross between Balmain and Maison Martin Margiela. The only difference is instead of looking innovative and couture, it looks cheap and tacky. Even poor Lisa Raye couldn't save this collection.

My head is still turning from all of this bundle of confusion. What do you guys think?

8 comments:

Deanna Jackson said...

I love fashion and I'm open to different styles but Jerell needs to tone it down.

Karen said...

OMG! It's way too much going on. Some of the models look scare to wear his clothes.

Anonymous said...

Don't you always complain about boring black? He is giving us something different for a change.

rainbows in moonlight said...

As Jerell matures as a designer he may well be a force to be reckoned with... I appreciate and understand the overall concept of his collection. However, I must agree, it needs to be reigned in a bit. I am curious to see what he'll do next.

Rhapsody in PURPLE! said...

I absolutely loved it. Im all bout texture, and its about time for someone to push the envelope. but maybe a ore careful eye is what he needs, he may get a little over excited in his detail lol. I love his style!!!!

S said...

I agree with rainbows in moonlight - Jerrel needs to mature. I think over time he will get it and become a stronger designer.

I don't know if calling Project Runway racist is fair. Korto is talented and great but she didn't win because Leanne created a beautiful editorial collection - the judges always chose the designer with an editorial point of view.

Korto didn't win the all-star competition because the judges were incredibly biased towards Daniel V.

season 6 is terrible with the eliminations - i agree that Ra'mon and Epperson are amazing designers but lets not call their eliminations racist. blame it on the fact that Nina & Michael missed several judging sessions. Nina even said herself that she was looking forward to see ra'mon when she came back but he had been cut already.

Liberian Girl said...

Well said S. I still believe Korto was rob from that all-star competition. Her table mat dress was innovative and on firree!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I didn't see a "contact" page, but I would like to like up with you. Please add our fb page, so that we can be in touch in the future for LAFW. We will be in touch.

Best regards,
Runway En Vogue.