Thursday, August 13, 2009

Fall 2009 Trend: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun

Thakoon

Balmain

Preen

Stephens Burrows

Miss Sixty

Celebrities rocking Eighties Pieces

Kim Kardashian In Topshop

Gwyneth Paltrow In Preen

Beyonce In Balmain

Jennifer Connelly In Balmain

Rihanna In A.L.C. and Preen Hawk

Big hair, Big shoulders and tons of make-up pretty much sums up the eighties. Everything was shiny, tight and sexy. I remember watching "Dynasty" and lusting over Alexis Carrington(Joan Collins) wardrobe and dancing away to Cyndi Lauper's song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" in my room.

The eighties are back with an vengeance with a more sleeker look. I love to see teenagers and girls in their early twenties rocking this look because they look current and fabulous. My generation X women need to take it easy with this look because this is our second time around with this trend. We have to infuse a little more sophistication and mix things up because head to toe eighties clothes is a disaster for us. Only Cher and Madonna can pull off this look for the more mature women over fifty.

I am slowly warming up to return of the eighties. I am delighted that jumpsuits, layers, and bold shoulders are back but please do not expect me to wear stone washed jeans or Salt & Pepper door knob earrings!

2 comments:

She's Gotta Have It said...

Oh how I loved me some S&P back then. I'll still rock some door knockers when in "B-girl" mode, but the big shoulders, neon (really?) and super tight 80's look I'll pass on. Madonna can't even do it.
I loved Jennifer and Rihanna's looks though.

Shana Lisa said...

It's because us youngins are returning to our 80's babies roots! Our moms wore it, so now we're bringing it back.
I don't know why the 80's interests me so much... kinda weird actually lol