Saturday, February 14, 2009

African Fashion Collective 2009: Stoned Cherrie







Designer Nkhensani Nkosi

Nkhensani Nkosi is the South African founder and creativity director of Stoned Cherrie. She is my NBD(New Best Designer). I love this collection to death! It's quirky, whimsical and colorful.

Stoned Cherrie, established in 2000 is an African lifestyle brand symbolizing urban culture in South Africa. The colors are captivating and the mixtures of fabrics and textures are just plain genius. This collection reminds of Marni which is one of my favorite labels.

I would rock every single piece in this creative collection. Nkhensani Nkosi is just a few of many talented African designers who are stomping the doors of mainstream designers.

3 comments:

E . E. Arthur said...

I so agree with you. Everything about her use of colour, texture and structure screams fashion! Where Ms. Nkosi succeed and other African designers have failed is that is has not gotten caught up in the same tired imagery of Kente cloth being sewn on everything, and that being the designers idea of showing their African lineage. I see Africa in her designs everywhere, by her using bold and beautiful colours, the lyrical way that the fabric seems to fall, the strong lines of her construction. It breaths Africa and it's beauty. I'm dying over here! I want every piece, in fact I want everyone to own a piece of Ms Nkosi's wear. The orange dress is a career maker. I hope to see more Nkosi in the future.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for featuring her work!!! I LOVE Stoned Cherie and my current dream is to intern with her and her team!!

Anonymous said...

Hi
I lik ethe o out fit that she is wearing on this picture and I think she is going places. May I have that dress that she wearing. Oh, as fo rthe designs that she has mad ethey are very nice. All teh best an dmay God bless you sisi.